Thursday, July 4, 2013

Running For Independence

Well, the Original 13 Half Marathon is officially in the books!  The race started at 8:30 this morning, which allowed us to beat some of the heat but not all.

The Pack Runners

Today I was completely spoiled by race spectators and I am very thankful!  Throughout the event another racer, who was 4 months pregnant, was at a similar pace. Her husband would stop every mile to support her and ensure she was hydrated, etc.  From miles 6-10, I was spoiled by him also receiving ice cubes and freezer pops!  These made all the difference in the world and kept me cool!  This is just another reason I love the running world, everyone is so friendly and willing to help out complete strangers. I still took full advantage of all the water stops and my hydration belt, I needed the fluids.  My official time was 2:04:55, which I was extremely happy about with the heat, humidity, and very little shade!  The temperature was 81 degrees when I finished.  My body held up well during the race, my main struggle was with my feet.  I ended up with a large blister on each arch from my orthotics (which hasn't happened in my half marathons before) and have a classic runners toe.  Oh the joys of endurance sports!  :)

The finish feels great, even if my toe doesn't!

Happy 4th of July to everyone. 

Graniteman Clearwater is up next on the event list!



No comments:

Post a Comment