Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Injured Reserve

Yes, you did read the blog title right, I am officially injured. My marathon which is a month away, that I have been training for the past three months, may not become a reality.  Everything seemed to be going well, and I pounded out an 18 mile training run a week and a half ago. Then injury hit.  I ran a short 6 mile run (a short run compared to my 18) and proceeded to limp on my right leg for the next two days!  Anyways, to cut to the chase, I was on the verge of a stress fracture.  My doctor is confident that I caught it in time, and I now am on 10 days of rest (I like to call it bed rest as it sure feels that way)!  I will meet with my doctor a few times over this period for therapy, to determine how I am healing, and to decide if I can continue with my marathon.

I loved keeping track of my progress on my training plan (coffee stain and all)!  I was so close!




I am definitely bummed that my marathon goal might not happen, but have also found some positives.

1.  I still ran 18 miles, the longest distance I ever have done. I give that a PR!

2.  I caught the injury fairly early, so I should be able to participate in my multisport season as planned. 

3.  My household water consumption and laundry detergent use is significantly down as I'm not washing running/exercise clothing. 

4.  I don't feel guilty for "being lazy", as it is the doctor's orders. 

5.  I have found more time in my schedule to catch up with friends and family. Normally my schedule is/was dictated by workouts and runs in order to accomplish my marathon goal!

Soooooo, only time will tell what my marathon future will hold. Right now my focus is on healing!


No comments:

Post a Comment