Sunday, January 26, 2014

Week 1 Marathon Training Successfully COMPLETED

I have now officially started my 16 week marathon training program 15 weeks left if were getting technical.  I feel healthy now since my couple week fight with bronchitis earlier this month, with only a residual cough. The past week consisted of 4 runs (totaling 15 miles), of which only one was outdoors.  The frigid temperatures and the wind chills are going to make the treadmill my best friend for the next few weeks, unfortunately.  Besides my runs, I did three intense WODs at Crossfit Fast Factory, giving my legs a run for their money. One of the WODs was "Karen" (150 wall balls).  Boy, did that get spicy fast!  Somewhere in there I also managed to get out snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.

In other news, I went to an appointment at Great Steps Orthotics & Prosthetics to have my orthotics adjusted for the increased running mileage. In the past, they have been sufficient for up to the half marathon distance, but quite painful at the end. My provider reassured me the orthotics would work for additional mileage and he removed some of the hard material in the arch to make them more comfortable!  I will need to check back with him about halfway through my training to ensure they are doing the job and to make any changes. Woohoo!  I'm pumped about the options for my orthotics and my providers willingness to work with me.  I see another pair of Asics Nimbus will be in my future!

I also tried a new recipe from www.paleomg.com and thought it was worth a share. I am not usually a huge fan of pork chops but these were delicious with a twist!
 
Roasted Grape and Onion Pork Chops


Cook time

Total time

 

Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 4 pork chops
  • 2 cups red, seedless grapes
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil – 1 tablespoon melted
  • 1 tablespoon crushed rosemary
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
  1. Preheat you oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place your grapes and sliced onions on a baking sheet, drizzle 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil over the top and mix to coat the onions and grapes.
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes of until the grapes burst. Be careful to not burn them. I did. Fail.
  4. When your grapes are almost done cooking, heat up a large skillet over medium heat and add your remaining tablespoon of coconut oil.
  5. Season both sides of your pork chops with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
  6. When pan is hot, add your pork chops and cook on both sides for 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of your pork chops) or until completely cooked through.
  7. There should be no pink inside your pork chop.
  8. When grapes are done roasting, remove from oven and let cool for a couple minutes.
  9. Top your pork chops off with grapes and onions then SERVE!
  10. Delish!



I have quite the culinary skills!  ;)

 
And I will leave you with this thought that I ran across the past week no pun intended!






No comments:

Post a Comment