Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fargo Mini Marathon Take 2!

Yesterday was the second year I have participated in the Fargo Mini Marathon. The race was the autumn sister event to the Fargo Marathon in May, and consisted of a 5K, 10K, and half marathon.  I chose to participate in the half marathon which went through the beautiful neighborhoods of Shadow Creek, Osgood, and McMahon.  I hate to admit that I "winged" the race, but I did!  After the multisport season ended, I did some running but not as much as I should have to prepare for a half marathon. My focus had instead shifted towards getting back into the swing of things at my crossfit box!

I knew I wasn't going for a PR on this flat and fast course, but instead a finish. Needless to say, I pulled out a time of 2:07:17, which was just about 7 minutes and 30 seconds over my half marathon PR.  I was satisfied!!  My mom also decided to compete in the 5K event.  This was her third ever 5K with the other two being small local races. She ended up fourth in her age group with her run/walk strategy!  WAY TO GO!  I think the race bug may have bit her now too!  :)

Last year I thought the event was pretty awesome. A huge vendor expo the day of the race, great race swag, and finisher medals that were second to none. I was a little disappointed this year as the expo was gone, along with the awesome medal. Don't get me wrong, the hockey puck is a unique idea since the finish is on the blue line in the Scheels Arena. However, I am a sucker for a nice race medal!  The course was still great and very safe with Fargo and West Fargo PD doing traffic control at the major intersections. The volunteers also did a great job on the race course.  A bag check and pacers would make this event even more outstanding!

Post race with our finishers' hockey pucks!


No comments:

Post a Comment