Monday, August 26, 2013

A Change Of Plans and New Gear

After racing in the Pigman Olympic Triathlon, I have decided to hold off on my half ironman distance race this year for various reasons.

  • First and foremost, I don't feel quite prepared to tackle the course, especially since I struggled so much on the run at Pigman with painful calves and a strained hamstring.  After doing a practice ride of the Square Lake Half Iron bike course, I know the hills will tear my legs apart and the last thing I want to do is injure myself on the run.

  • Next, the course is actually 2 miles short of the half iron distance on the bike and also a finishers medal is not awarded.  However, I did just find out that there is one this year. I really would like to do the full 70.3 and not be two miles short. Also, after all that work I want a dang nice finishers medal for my effort!  :)

  • Finally, I have travel plans coming up and it is a huge stress taken off my shoulder to not have two big events happening around similar times.

Soooo...with that being said I am going to do the short course!  Woohoo!  It is actually longer than a sprint course, but short of an Olympic course!

I definitely am not finished with my aspirations of doing a 70.3. I am looking into IM Racine 70.3 next season and now will be able to set goals to be better prepared and none the less take home a kick butt medal for my efforts!!

In other news I recently purchased a couple new tri gear items!

 
My Pearl Izumi Iso Transition shoes which I can wear sockless for a quick transition from my bike shoes (which I also prefer sockless) in sprint tris. 


My new ISM Adamo Breakaway saddle purchased using my Gear West Gift Certificate!  Comfort on the bike definitely comes at a price!


No comments:

Post a Comment