Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Trinona: Battle For The BUFF"


Well I decided to try a new race early in the season:  Trinona!  I LOVED IT!!  The event took place in the beautiful bluffs of Winona, MN and was celebrating it's 5th year. Race day brought temps in the high 50's to low 60's, some wind, overcast skies, and rain.

The swim course was the weediest I have ever swam in.  Some triathletes did not finish the swim, due to getting tangled up in the weeds and having anxiety about them. I persevered through and on to the bike portion I went. Thankfully the rain stopped while I was racing but roads were slick and dirty.   The bike out and back course in the bluffs was followed by an out and back run along Lake Winona.

After crossing the finish line I learned I was 5th place in my age group and only 17 seconds off of 3rd place and making the podium.  Of course this is the point I think to myself:  if only that van hadn't turned in front of me on the race course causing me to slow down on the bike; maybe I shouldn't have been so cautious on the tight turns on the bike course; I could have had a smoother transition; or picked up my run pace!  Of course hind sight is always 20/20 and I have now thought about how to shave the time off for the next race!

One of the highlights of the race has to be the finishers medal--it was beautiful. However, it had a great misprint in it.  Instead of saying "Battle For The Bluff", it said "Battle For The Buff".  Definitely a 5 year commemorative medal!  :)

Next on the agenda will be Graniteman St. Cloud where I will be doing the swim portion of the relay team.

A few photos from Trinona:

Beautiful bluff country!
 
Transition area overlooking the lake and bike course in the background!
 
Two thumbs up for a great race!

The Pack represents at Trinona!

Medal misprint!  :)





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for racing! Enjoyed the report and hope to see you back in 2014!

    - Race Director, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting on such a great race! I will be sure to make it back!

    ReplyDelete